Whether you’re a small business or a large organization, chances are you have some sort of operation where materials need to be moved on a daily basis. Whether it’s for manufacturing, warehousing, retail, or even medical purposes, most businesses will need to deal with at least some level of material handling solution so that their operations run smoothly without any unnecessary delays.
In addition to the many benefits that choosing the right material handling solution can provide your company – from streamlining storage and transportation to minimizing employee costs and improving efficiency – there’s also a wide range of different solutions available.
From self-contained unit solutions like single piece trailers and automated storage cabinets to modular components like pallet racking systems and forklifts, the market is saturated with various options that you should take into account before making your final decision.
Material handling is the process of transporting products and materials, whether manually or via automated equipment, from one place to another.
This can include the distribution of incoming materials, the transportation of outgoing materials, or both.
Material handler can be split into two categories: storage and transportation.
Storage is when you put materials on the storage racks and move them from one rack to another.
Transportation is when you move the materials from one place to another via a conveyor system or a truck.
– Storage rack systems – A storage rack system is what you’d use for storing your boxes and other stock items. The system has one or more racks that hold your items and a storage area to keep them organized. A storage rack system is also known as a stock-keeping system (SKS).
– Storage cabinets – A storage cabinet is a more advanced version of a storage rack system.
For example, you can choose a system that’s designed to hold a specific type of item, like pharmaceuticals or electronics. A storage cabinet can also be used to store miscellaneous items, like office supplies.
– Storage shelves – A storage shelf is a simple system that holds a single item. Like a storage rack, a storage shelf is ideal for storing small items that don’t require a lot of space.
– Pallet jacks – A pallet jack is used to transfer pallets from one place to another. Pallet jacks come in a variety of types, including manual, electric, and hydraulic.
– Automatic pallet changers – An automatic pallet changer changes pallets so they can be loaded onto a truck or transported between locations.
– Transportation modes – There are a number of different transportation modes that you should take into account when comparing options.
For example, should you choose to use rollaways or a conveyor system, or should you choose to use a rack system for transporting materials? There are a multitude of different transport modes, and you should only select the one that works best for your company’s needs.
– Materials handling equipment – You also need to keep in mind the type of material handler equipment that you plan to use, including the maximum weight of each item that it can handle. You also need to keep in mind how often the equipment needs to be cleaned and maintained, which can sometimes be difficult when you’re dealing with a large business.
– Loading areas – You should also take into account the location of your loading areas, including the size and shape of the area, to maximize efficiency. When looking at alternatives, you should also keep in mind if there are any loading issues that are causing delays.
– Storage area layout – Finally, you should also keep in mind the layout of your storage area, including any clearance issues, which can sometimes be difficult when you’re dealing with a large business.
The best time to use a material handler solution is when you need to move materials between different locations within your company or between your company and other businesses.
If you’re a manufacturer that needs to collect materials from various suppliers, a storage rack system will be ideal. If, on the other hand, you need to transport materials between the different locations within your company, a storage cabinet system might be the best way to go, as it can be used for storing different types of materials.
If you’re a retailer that needs to move products between different stores or distribution centers, a storage rack system can be used to transport items, while a storage shelf system can be used to store and organize items.
If you’re a distributor that needs to collect raw materials from various suppliers and deliver them to your production line, a storage rack system can be used to transport materials.
Choosing the right material handling system can help your company run more efficiently, while also providing employees with greater job satisfaction. With all of the different options available, it can be a bit overwhelming to decide what best fits your needs.
B&G Industries, “Material Handling Solutions”….. can help you. They are your one stop source for Material Handler Products. Excellent sourcing for Wooden Pallets, Plastic Pallets, Crates, Plastic Gaylord’s, Plastic boxes, Plastic Sleeve Pack for close loop systems, bulk collapsible containers and much more.
We have over 35 years of experience providing innovative options to meet our customers needs. As a family-owned Distributor we provide only the best product at the best price and can deliver it wherever and whenever it is needed. We guarantee your satisfaction!
B&G Industries is a Distributor of material handler products, which includes storage bins, Sleeve Packs, Fixed Racking, Portable Racking, shelving, plastic/corrugated Gaylord’s and bins; ridged wire and corrugated containers, crates, custom packaging, plastic pallets, wooden pallets, dock equipment, and much more.
In addition to material handling solutions, B&G Industries represents a wood components manufacturer based in Malvern AR, which produces OEM wood products along with pile cushions and road mats for the construction industry.
B & G Industries = Excellent Quality + Excellent Service + Excellent Prices = Satisfied customers.
Call us today at 314-497-4767 and talk to one of our friendly and knowledgeable Customer Service Representatives. You will be glad you did.
We provide FDA-approved pallets, bulk containers, and warehousing products – a large selection of plastic pallets, wire baskets, and bulk containers. Pallets meet or exceed FDA requirements and conform to shipping and warehousing standards.
Products we specialize in include:
* Wood Pallets
* Plastic Pallets
* FDA Approved Plastic Pallets
* Collapsible Bulk Containers
* Wire Baskets
* FDA approved Bulk Containers
* Wire Decking
* Fixed Racking
* Returning Packaging
* Returnable Packaging for Close Loop Systems
* Plastic and Corrugated Gaylord’s
* Wooden Crates
* Ridged Wire Containers
* Dock Equipment
* Sleeve Packs
* Custom Packaging
* Portable Racking
* Industrial Shelving
* Used Euro’s, CP and Can/Glass Pallets
Looking to go Green.
B&G helped developed a plastic pallet made in Germany for a Closed Loop System for a fortune 500 company that wanted to get wood out of their warehouse to eliminate product contamination from wood chips and eliminate injuries from lifting heavy wood pallets.
We had to look at the safety issue in the plant with regards to double stacking loaded pallets and the personnel lifting the pallets.
The bottle manufacturer is now shipping to the plant on plastic pallets which will get approximately 200 turns versus 5 from wood.
The plastic pallets weigh 20 pounds compared to 40 to 45 pounds for wood pallets.
Cost factors, based on cost per turn, provided a break-even point, compared to wood, at 10 turns.
An average cost per turn of $.10 per turn based on 200 turns. This saved the fortune 500 company tens of thousands of dollars.
Owner B&G Industries LLC, Material Handling Products, Wooden/Plastic Pallets, Solutions for Closed Loop Systems.
Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to know about new logistic solutions and news from B & G Industries!